Monday, April 15, 2013

Getting Creative.....

As with most college kids, my room has always seemed a little bare and definitely lacked personal photos of my friends and family. I didn't want to put a bunch of frames on my walls because I'm pretty picky about what they look like and I'm kind of lazy about printing pictures out.

When I was home for Spring Break, Emi's room was decorated so cute. For Valentine's Day, Kara made her a collage of pictures using string, clothes pins, and black & white pictures. I absolutely loved it and have been wanting to do something similar in my room.
The Inspiration
I don't have a headboard in my room, so above my bed seemed really bland. I figured this was the perfect place for my new project.

I decided I wanted to have a word made of wooden letters hang above my photos so it wasn't just be a string of pictures hanging on the wall. I ordered my letters from Hobby Lobby. They're 4 inches tall and and 1/8" thick. I painted them with black acrylic paint so they match my other decorations in my room. Then I drilled holes in the tops, used the same string as my "picture clothes line" to hang them up, and hung them on the wall with clear push pins.
I couldn't decide what pictures I wanted to use, and I also wanted to be able to spread my pictures out so I ended up doing two separate lines. Everything needed to match because I'm OCD (just ask my family), so I printed my photos in black & white.
The Finished Product
It turned out exactly how I wanted, and it didn't take very long. It was such a simple project. It took less then an hour to paint the letters, drill the holes, thread the string, and hang the letters on my wall. It took about another hour to edit my pictures, cut them out, and hang them up. Only two hours for something that looks that cute? I'll take that any day! :) I think it adds so much to my room to have something most substantial above my bed. It makes my room feel so much more complete and decorated in the way that I'm finally satisfied with. Thanks Kara for the inspiration, I never would have thought of this without you!!

1 comment:

Kara said...

I'm such a slacker when it comes to looking at blogs anymore! Your room looks so cute! Good job!