Sunday, March 29, 2009

Single Parenthood...

Since the beginning of my first year of college I've been the one of the Family Home Evening group leaders (a.k.a. an FHE mom) in my ward. When I was originally called, my partner was Ben Skinner and we got along very well and had a lot of fun planning activities. Well, at the beginning of the Spring semester Ben was released because he was called to the elders quorum, but I was still called as the FHE Mom. Needless to say I was a little bumbed because he was such a cool guy and it was a lot of fun to serve with him.

I got a new partner called the next week, and his name is Sean Redding. I have to admit I was a little skeptical because I didn't really know a lot about him, but he's turned out to be a pretty cool guy. We get along well and he's easy to plan activities with.

The sad news:
I went to talk to Sean at church today about what games we wanted to play at tomorrow's combined ward activity. After we figured that out, he dropped a bomb on me: he is being deployed on April 15th to Kuwait. Holy cow, I couldn't believe it. How sad and depressing, I don't know Sean all that well outside of FHE but SCARY!! Now I know having to plan FHE activities alone for a few weeks isn't anything compared to being deployed, but needless to say I'm a little nervous. I'm sure I am scaring myself to death for nothing because after all it is only 2 or 3 activities after that, but still I don't like it. So when April 15th comes, I will officially be a single mom of 24 kids!!!

The good news:
Our ward has an awesome "grandma" and "grandpa" in FHE. Jennie Case (grandma), who is probably one of the sweetest and funniest girls I've ever met in my life, and Brent Burton (grandpa), who is one of the nicest and happiest person I've ever met, are in charge of overseeing FHE. I'm sure they're going to be more then willing to help in anything and everything that I need because they are that way now. Everything will work out, I just needed a moment to freak out. :)

I absolutely love my ward. It is filled with the greatest, happiest, most helpful people who love the gospel that I've ever met. I'm so happy that I am able to be a part of such a great ward with an awesome bishop who cares so much about each and every member of our ward. I didn't know what to expect going into a ward of college students, but the individuals in my ward are so strong in the church it's amazing. They love the gospel so much. It's nice that I can surround myself with those who believe in those same things I do, and also have them be so important in their lives as they are in mine. My ward is where most of my friends that I've made at school have been, and I'm so happy that I've been able to surround myself with people like that.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

You will do GREAT!! I'm glad you love your ward. Student wards are the best!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Your awesome Beth! and you'll do a great job being an single parent:) Sorry we missed you for spring break, I was sure I'd see you somewhere:( Love ya!