Thursday, August 27, 2009

Fun's Over....

Well summer vacation has come & gone! I am now starting my sophomore year in college. This is going to be an extremely busy semester (I can tell already)!! On top of taking some very difficult classes this semester (Calculus, Statistics, Organic Chemistry I, & Human Anatomy) I am also a Chemistry 1020 TA, which means that I have to teach a Chemistry Discussion & Lab Section.

When Carla Beckett asked me last Wednesday (8/19...4 days before school started) if I'd be interested, it didn't sound too difficult so I told her I could handle it. Well, she didn't tell me that on top of teaching a discussion & lab, I also have to have an hour of office hours, an hour of Tutorial hours, attend weekly meetings (every Thursday), plus I have to go to a 4 hour safety training & another 1 hour safety training, attend the student safety training (which I have to teach part of), grade all the assignments from both lab & discussion, & proctor exams throughout the semester & grade them afterward. WOW, a little more time consuming than I thought, but it will be fun. Even though it makes me really nervous to get up & teach students who are only a year younger than me (some are older than me as well), I'm really enjoying it. Not only do I get paid to teach, but it will also look good on my application for pharmacy school :) !!!

This week I already have homework assignments in 3 of my 4 classes (Human Anatomy, Statistics, & 2 assignments in Calculus). Labs haven't even started yet, so when they start next week it'll be even more time consuming.

Even though it's going to be a lot of work, I'm really happy to get going & get into the grove of school again. I still have plenty of down time, which I use to study. This school year is going to be busy, busy, busy, but it's worth it. I really like all of my teachers they are excellent so far & are really nice. I'm sure as the year goes on I'm going to have to remind myself of this post (saying how happy I am about my busy schedule). Here's hoping for a fun semester!!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Good Luck on your new school year. You'll make a great TA and it will most definitely be worth your time!

Richard & Katie said...

Oh my gosh Beth that sounds like so much to do. I could never handle all of that. But thats what you get for being so smart. Goodluck with all of that!